Natural herbal medicines have been a part of the medicine world for a long time, and different cultures have used them in various ways. Some people use them for therapeutic purposes while others use them for medicinal purposes. The use of herbs is widely known to be safe because the ingredients are natural hence have very minimal to no side effects when they are taken. Nowadays, different doctors are advocating for the use of herbal medicine to treat various conditions and also for the well-being and the health of the body.
Herbal medicines come in the form of tablets, capsules, teas, tinctures, syrup, oils and also powders, and each of them has different ways into which it is used to benefit the body. The ingredients are extracted from plant roots, leaves, stems or even leaves and then used naturally while they are active.
The main purpose of natural herbal medicines is to help the body return to its normal state so that it can be restored whole. Different herbs when taken will work differently in the body systems and hence bring the desirable healing effects. The benefits of taking herbal supplements include:
· Restores the body’s natural balance and health in cases where the body is sick or has low immunity. They work by boosting the immune system function and also promote the well being of the body before any illness sets in.
· Improve cardiovascular health and circulation as they lower the cholesterol levels in the body and also the blood pressure by ensuring that the blood vessels are wide open, and blood circulation is good.
· Opens up the respiratory system, hence very minimal chances of getting colds,flu, allergies, coughs or tuberculosis.
· Used to improve memory as they improve blood circulation to the brain.
· Natural herbal medicines are used to reduce anxiety, depression, exhaustion, stress, insomnia and also irritability as they help your nerves calm down by increasing the melatonin in the body hence the body relaxes and you get to sleep easily.
· Prevent motion sickness, nausea and stomach upsets as they act by blocking serotonin a chemical that is produced by the stomach and brain and causes stomach upsets and nausea. Some will also improve your metabolism.
· Treat persistent illnesses such as migraines, headache and also burns.
· Some of them have antioxidant properties which, when taken will reduce the radical cells in the body that cause toxic effects in the body such as cancer, diabetes.
· Reduce inflammation in the body, hence reduces the chances of getting inflammatory diseases such as osteoarthritis.
For maximum benefits of herbal medicines, different herbs can be:
· Added to your cooking as spices or marinating foods so as to add flavor.
· Mixed with your drinking water or tea as a single herb or mixed with other herbs
· Taken as a whole before eating or traveling either as capsules or tablets.
· Buy only from reputable herbalists and doctors as they know which offer the maximum benefit to the body.
· You can alternatively grow some of these herbs in your garden and ensure that they are readily available when you need them.
Natural herbal medicines cannot be used in cases where the conventional drugs are supposed to be used. It is important to seek medical advice before taking any herbal drugs while taking the conventional drugs so as to avoid any adverse effects on the body. The herbal medicines can also be bought over the counter, but it is also good to consult your doctor so as to get the correct dosage and also the exact type of drug for the particular ailment that you have. It is also good to be in the know of which type of herb you are taking, so ask before taking.
Definition of health varies from person to person. To some it means that nothing is really serious, for some it means not getting any worse, for other it is the visit to the doctor every year to get a nod of “all clear”. Seldom did it mean zero health problems. And so we get by with taking aspirins and painkillers and live with aches and pains that we associate with certain infective bug, overwork, or aging.
The problem with chemically formulated drugs and medicines is that, one; it remedies a part of the body but destroys another, often the liver. Two, it has questionable benefits that simple observation will tell you that if the medication prescribed by the physician is not getting the desired result, an alternative prescription will be given (a physician that has a reputation for having a higher batting average will be called as “good” and so will the physicians fees be). Third, when a part of the body fails to normally function caused by the drug, it will be termed as side effects. Fourth, when the body acclimatizes to the drug prescribed, we are in effect sentencing our body to a lifetime of medication. Fifth, behind all the advances claimed, it does not really increase the average lifespan. Like the rest of the world, we still are satisfied if we hit the magic mark of seventy years. Sixth, it is so expensive to be a hit and miss thing which often it really is. Scientific claims will be otherwise but everybody can claim. Result though will tell you differently.
For most of us, it has not been recognized that there is an alternative to a life sentence of medication. That there are medications not only to cure whatever ails but to build the reserves and boost the system so that ailments are reversed naturally. When the system is made healthier and reserves are built, we could in part avoid the doctor whose typical remedy is give us drugs, when drugs will not work, chop parts of our body, and prescribe drugs more.
In the ancient world, our forebears have already recognized that there are only two kinds of plants, that which is good for food and that which is better for healing. Even animals know this. Our house pets like dogs, cats, and chickens will forage for a particular grass of herb when they are not feeling well. Sooner this is vomited and the animal heals. In eastern cultures, these natural methods have been the basis for healing. Their life average expectancy is not longer than seventy years but ours is not longer either. The difference lies in the money, the trouble spent and for the most part, the absence of chronic pains and suffering.
Herbal medicines, natural medication and healing do just that. Relieve the suffering and health anxiety naturally so we have time to enjoy more of life without the drugs that gives temporary eight-hour solutions until the pain strikes again.